We Four in Egypt

Now back in the US!

Salt in the wound

I wrote this blog entry about two weeks ago, in the wee hours as I awaited the first presidential debate, and never published it (I’m not sure why, but probably because I had already published something that day). I just noticed it and didn’t want to delete it, so here it is. It’s a bit melodramatic to publish this now, but, eh, it’s my blog, and I’ll cry if I want to.

Written around September 26
Sometimes blogging about my kids feels too personal. And sometimes I blog so I can stay up late to watch the presidential debates. So I dog blog. Just what you came here for, right? Good.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that a car hit Puppy Four, who ended up with some ugly abrasions on a paw. I later mentioned that he was having seizures again.

Well, the seizures were awful to witness. The poor pup would stiffen up, drool, shake, poop, paw for air, and more awfulness. He had been doing so well, too, up til the incident with the car. We were out walking that night for Giggle’s first soccer practice, and I wouldn’t have taken the Pup unless I thought he was up for it.

So what followed was a huge regression. The seizures completely wore him out. They seemed to happen more often at night, and he was lethargic and sensitive during the day–a huge change from his usually more energetic self.

We went yet again to the vet, of course. The doctor prescribed a new round of anti-seizure medication, which worked, but he was still really lethargic. He also developed an ulcer on his lip and nose, and he wasn’t eating very much. I took him back to the vet this week, and Puppy Four is now on a new medicine that’s working great.

But, at the vet that night, I finally asked, “Do you think he’ll be okay?” The answer is probably not. The vet suspects Puppy Four has permanent damage to his central nervous system and will never be “normal.” I was tearing up and didn’t walk to talk more about it, so the pup and I left to head back home, me sure he was near the end.

And so then, that night, the pup began a major personality recovery. He started following me around the house again and chewing on my arm whenever it was available to him. This morning, for the very first time, he play-growled with a pillow.

And tonight he found his voice: he barked (a first!) and worked his way up to a howl. Probably not so nice for the folks sleeping in the house, but it was fun to hear.


9 October 2008 - Posted by | pets, sicknesses

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

%d bloggers like this: